Sunday, March 4, 2012

How do you make rice like they have at the House of Japan, Genji, or Japanese Steakhouse?

I really want to know.



Thanx =]How do you make rice like they have at the House of Japan, Genji, or Japanese Steakhouse?
You want medium or short grain rice. Short grain or sushi rice is stickier than medium grain rice.



You can find it at grocery stores w/ a large ethnic foods section, Japanese/Asian markets or large grocery chains like Whole Foods.



It is available in small %26amp; large quantities in CA.



A rice cooker is convenient but not necessary.



Check to make sure it is not sweet rice which tends to become very glutinous %26amp; is used for rice cakes %26amp; desserts.



Related links: http://www.easychef.com/differentrice/dr鈥?/a>

http://www.ricegourmet.com/About_RiceTyp鈥?/a>

http://www.lundberg.com/products/rice.sh鈥?/a>
It's not the cooker - it's the rice itself.



What you find in American supermarkets is long grain white rice, or *broken* long grain white rice. It's nice and white, nice and fluffy, nice and tasteless.



What gets eaten in the orient is short-grain or medium-grain rice. One or the other is used for sticky rice and for risotto, and for just about every authentic oriental dish.



Head for an oriental grocery store. I have lots of trouble getting help there. It's not that they aren't helpful, but we don't speak the same languages. I try to puzzle out what's on the shelf from bizarre descriptions; sometimes I get what I want, and sometimes, I end up with something I have to figure out how to use. That can be good or bad, but I limit how often I do it, because I don't like starving three days in a row. (grin).



Anyhow, they have lots of different kinds of rice. Unfortunately, most of them are 10 pound packages or larger, which is kinda wasteful, if you're just trying to see what each kind is like. Oh, well, my dog loves rice. I think most dogs really like rice.



I suppose you could ask the chef at one of those restaurants what kind of rice he uses.....How do you make rice like they have at the House of Japan, Genji, or Japanese Steakhouse?
The best way to get that kind of rice would be to purchase a rice cooker. I have one at home and love it. Although the rice only lasts for about 2 days it's delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment